My Life As A Dad...

Friday, January 21, 2005

Here I Go...

I have been thinking about this thing called Blogging for a while now. Like a lot of people, I have a rich and complex inner world that seldom gets shared or appreciated fully. Is this what Blogging is for? Well, let's find out...

I am a man, a husband and a dad. I didn't become a dad until I was 35 years old, at which time I felt that I was as ready as I could ever be to take on this immense responsibility. Although I felt awkward at first around kids, I had no doubt that it was what I wanted to do. Perhaps it was even my mission in life; to be a good dad.

What I found is that being a dad is my passion. I need to be a dad who is different than my dad. I need to be a dad who is caring, kind and nonviolent. I need to be a dad whom his children continue to love and respect as they grow up. I need to be a dad who cares, who is there, and who understands the emotional needs of the rest of the family.

Too many times when I out in public I witness parenting that appals me. I'd like to help out. I'd like to go up to a stranger and say, "It looks like you might want some help. Parenting is hard work and information about being a good parent is not easily sought for. Here's what I think would help...". But I am a man, and most (maybe all?) people have at one time or another been hurt and/or attached by a man somewhere, sometime. Because of this, it does not go over too well to have a man approach a stranger with advise about parenting. On the other hand, I see my wife do this often, and she does it so well that it amazes me. When she does approach a stranger with the screaming child I usually stand back and watch and wait for them to yell at her. But this have never happened. Sometimes there's a polite thank you, and they leave. Most of the time the other parent responds with an extreme amount of gratefulness that someone had the courage to breach the isolation that parents are often left in. My wife is a constant reminder to me that it doesn't have to be that way.

So, here I am. This is my first time "Blogging" so I do not know what to expect next. Is somebody actually going to read this?

Sincerely,

Jason

1 Comments:

  • Hi Jason,

    It's me, Jonathan. What a great thing you have created here! I was so glad to meet you the other day at the park. Your "blog" mirrors my impression of you as a very kind and related person! Interestingly, when I saw you at the park I was actually taking a "mental health day" from work because the stress level was getting to me. It was nice of you to give me acknowledgement for the hard work that I do...thanks again! I could definitely relate to your entry about work/family stress, and feeling stretched too thin. I hope that we can get together again soon. It is so difficult to actually plan an outing, and I want to be sure that my family's disorganization doesn't get in the way of it. I am usually unable to do anything with Ethan on weeknights, because of his schedule, but this weekend is open for the most part.

    I was about to post my contact information, but then realized that everyone on earth can read this? I'll call you. Thanks again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home