My Life As A Dad...

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Civil Liberties At Risk

OK, I just have to say something now about the Terri Schiavo case. I am appalled at what is happening and the precedence that our government is trying to set. As I read about the bills and laws that the Governor of Florida, the President and our Congress have created and passed solely to force the reinsertion of her feeding tube against the wishes of the person she herself appointed with power of attorney, I began to feel extremely worried. How long until this government decides that they know better what I should do with my life than I, or my wife who is my power of attorney, knows? While I do feel deeply for the parents and family of Terri Schiavo, I am appalled at the audacity that they are showing in their illegal fight to keep her alive. They don't seem to realize the precedence that they would be setting if they should win. Would they want the government to decide their fate when they are old and feeble? I doubt it. I understand their grief; I would be devastated if one of my children were to have gone through what their daughter experienced. But it is time for them to be with their daughter, to bless her and to let her go.

I am also outraged by the media's coverage of this story. I have not read one story that is not biased towards the family while attacking her own husband and power of attorney. It seems that the media and our government have decided that this guy is a slime bag for wanting to carry out his wife's wishes. I'd like to see a story that talks about this guy’s courage and commitment to do the right thing in spite of everyone, even our so called "President", telling him that he is wrong. I'd like to see a reporter who has the balls to say the truth; that this story is not about "pro-life", it's about pro-civil liberties. Our laws clearly state that the President and Congress have no right being involved in a case such as this.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home